Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Luke 6:38

"Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over...."
For as long as I can remember, that's exactly what we've taught our kids...to give!
We began giving our kids an allowance when they were in grade school. From that allowance, they had chores to do. We taught them to give a tenth to the church and to also save a portion. As they've grown older, they've also had to purchase their "needs" with that same allowance. What a lesson that has been for them...tithing, budgeting, saving. I always loved listening to them tell us how much they needed something, until they learned they would have to purchase it themselves. It really wasn't that important anymore after that.
It's been exciting watching their savings account grow, watching them budget a checkbook, and seeing just how far money will stretch if you need it to. It has also taught them what's important and what's not important.
Year after year, we've had to remind them less and less to tithe. They've learned to give to the Lord first what is His. I found a piece of paper the other day on one of our girls dresser..keeping track of every dime she had earned last month so she'd write the correct amount to the church. I was so proud!
We can NEVER outgive God. My dad always taught me that if we didn't give, God would get it one way or another. Maybe through a flat tire, a broken water heater, a speeding ticket...
I'm so thankful that my kids have learned this command early on. Apart from God, we would have nothing. That should be the very first check that we write each month!
Scott has always taught our Sunday School class that if we were to take the amount of money we give to God and multiply it by 10, would we be happy with our new salary? Food for thought!
Malachi 3:10 "Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, 'and try Me now in this', says the Lord of hosts, 'If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it'".

No comments: