Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Traditions continue...



The Vail women have been baking! The girls and I made our traditional snickerdoodles the other night. We also made peanut butter crackers dipped in white chocolate...yum! Right now I'm getting ready to pull two hot loaves of homemade apple bread out of the oven. Other traditions we have enjoyed this month and throughout the years are lighting an advent candle during dinner and placing a sewn ornament on our advent calendar tree. Now, I sense that was a tradition that our kids enjoyed more when they were younger. As they draw the ornament from their assigned day they now say (with great sarcasm) "Gee, I got the gingham teddy bear". We all just laugh.
We've watched Christmas movies and played lots of games. Grandma and Grandpa Vail will pull into the driveway any minute and we can't wait to see them! We always enjoy their visits. We'll enjoy delicious food and continue playing lots of games while they are here. On Saturday, my mom and my sister, Karen will come to stay until Monday. I am really looking forward to their visit.
I hope you are enjoying this Christmas season with your family. What are some traditions that your family enjoys?

1 comment:

robin schmitt said...

We eat popcorn while decorating our Christmas tree. We also make certain things to eat and share every year (Puppy Chow, fudge, chocolate covered peanuts, peppermint bark, etc.). On Christmas morning we have a birthday pancake breakfast for Jesus involving blood (red corn syrup), snow (powdered sugar), red hearts, candles, etc. It's really neat and has some great symbolism and scriptures.