Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Love Dare

Humbling. That's the only way I can describe this book. This book was written by Stephen and Alex Kendrick, producer and director of the movie "Fireproof". I decided it would be a neat little book for me to read. I thought this will be easy. I mean what do I possibly have to change concerning my attitude in my marriage, concerning the way I treat Scott?
Well, as I said before...humbling. It's like holding a big mirror in front of my face. For instance, Day 5: Love is not Rude. I had to ask Scott to list three things that cause him to be irritated with me. I e-mailed him that morning because I wanted him to have plenty of time to really think this through. Actually, I thought I'd give him lots of time because I knew it would be extremely hard for him to come up with something, much less 3 things! The key to this was when we sat down that evening and he gave me his "list" that I had to listen quietly, without attacking him or justifying my behavior. I prepared myself: I ran out to the garage and got the thickest duct tape I could find and adhered it firmly to my mouth. Then I put a patch over my eyes. Let me tell you, I can be quiet when I have to, but if looks could kill, I can surely do that too! I couldn't believe he thought of 3 things!
And they were all true. I wrote them down and made a commitment to myself and to him to work on these areas. My first thought (quietly within myself) was "I sure wish he would ask me this question!!" Bingo, hence my problem...selfishness, pride, sarcasm! Actually, he didn't list those. Well, he actually did list sarcasm...ouch!
Isn't that our problem? We are selfish people. We should be giving 100% in our marriages...all the time! Some people are like lemons: when life (spouse) squeezes them, they pour out sour responses. Some are more like peaches: when the pressure is on, their result (words) is still sweet.
Oh, Lord, please help me to constantly be a peach!

3 comments:

Celia Jimenez said...

Amen...amen...amen! Ugh,Kim, I'm reading that book too. Loved the movie and thought the book wouldn't really be that applicable. But I was wrong. Glad to know I'm not the only one! :-) Too scared to get to day five...might have to skip it!

Zoe said...

Kim,
You are a peach for sure!!!!!!
I just wish I could have seen you with that duct tape over your mouth and eyes.

I want to know how you kept from ripping out your eyebrows and eye lashes when you removed the tape.
You inspire me my peachy friend,
Zoe

robin schmitt said...

I loved the movie and mentioned wanting to get the book. Brittany asked me not to because she wants to get it for Todd and I for Christmas. Now I'm not sure if I'll be looking forward to reading (and applying) it or dreading it. : )