Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Mother/Daughter Day....


Heather and I were finally able to spend the day together...just the two of us! We had a great day. Actually the first part of the day wasn't that fun because we were in the doctor's office getting her shots for college. Our next stop was Target. We had to get all her toiletries and snacks. We had a nice lunch together and then surprised Dad at church.

A week from today we'll be heading to Liberty. She is so excited and we are excited for her...it's a bittersweet time. One of my concerns is that who will laugh at my jokes? To say that Heather is a clone of me is an understatement. I can tell the same joke over and over and Heather still laughs. The rest of my family just stares at me as if they've heard the same joke over and over (Scott says he's heard my jokes at least 100 times...my Wilson friends are saying "amen" right now).

About a week ago, Scott and I spent the evening with just Heather and Lindsay. It was a rare occasion. We talked with them for about 2 hours. It was such a special evening. Scott was able to share with them, once again, about remaining pure, being modest, having an accountability partner, honoring God. He told Heather that she will have privileges and freedom at college....things she can do that only God will know about. He reminded them how important it is to honor God in everything that we say and do.

At that point, my focus turned toward myself. Wondering how many times I dishonor God in my actions, my thoughts.

Have you ever thought about that? What did you watch on TV last night? What books are you reading? What have you been searching on the internet? How much time do you set aside each day to spend in His Word and in prayer? Is God pleased? One question we've asked our kids over and over is "would you watch, read, look at that if God were sitting right beside you in human form?" Just a thought...

Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - meditate on these things".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the time we were able to spend together today..it was sooo much fun...i thought the dr. visit was fun too...except for when i got those 2 shots. Don't forget to put me on speaker phone when your telling the family a joke :D - just don't do it while i'm in class...lol

robin schmitt said...

Glad you and Heather had a great day together. I haven't seen pictures of her as a baby in a long time. I had forgotten how chunky she was. :) She looks like quite the young lady now. Maybe we'll get to see her at Liberty even if we don't get to see the rest of you.

Zoe said...

Kim,
You have got to start telling your jokes here at the office! I'm ready to laugh with my sweet friend.
One great thing about menopause is I'll never remember I've heard your jokes before. HA HA!
MIss you,
Zoe