Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I have just finished reading an amazing book...What Happens When Women say Yes to God, by Lysa Terkeurst, President of Proverbs 31 ministries.
This book was absolutely wonderful to me and extremely convicting; love those type of books! It spoke to me that I need to have radical obedience, knowing and hearing God's will, if it weren't easy, it wouldn't be worth doing (I needed that reminder too!), and the most convicting chapter was Giving up what was never ours.
Oh, how my toes were hurting.

I John 3:18-19 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. I can't count the times that I've "said" I need to do something, but never put action to my words. Lysa reminded me that when we come to understand that we're giving up what was never ours to begin with, we're walking in radical obedience.

She shared the example of a couple, friend's of hers, who were saving money to build their dream home. During this time, their church began a building campaign. God began speaking to them about sacrificing the money they had been saving to give to this campaign...Joyfully, they placed their dreams in God's hands and invested their dream, their finances, for eternity.
Lysa shared about the time she was saving up for a "new outfit fund". She saved $100.00 and set a date with her fashion-savvy friends to go shopping. She was so excited. Just a few days before she was going shopping, a dear friend contacted her and asked her to pray for her family's financial situation. Lysa found out that they needed $100.00 to pay a bill. $100.00....isn't that how much she had just saved? I don't need to tell you what she did. She gave that money to her dear friend to meet a need.

All this to say...would I do that? Would I be willing to give up what I had saved for....money that isn't mine to begin with? I have to admit that my answer is more often "no" than "yes". I see myself as being "tight fisted". Holding on too tight, without freely giving. Being more concerned with making sure I have enough to meet all our needs....and our wants, I must admit.

Once again, God has reminded me to say Yes to Him....and more importantly to trust in Him. Again, giving up what was never mine in the first place.

Malachi 3:10....Test me in this, says the Lord, and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

No comments: