Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Burn Notice?

From Homelife - April 2010 issue:
"Cancer researchers have moved tanning beds to the top-risk category, as deadly as arsenic and mustard gas. If you tan regularly before age 30, you increase your chance of getting skin cancer by 75%. Spray tans are looking better by the ultraviolet minute".

Why am I an advocate against tanning beds? Because in April, 2001, I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma. I grew up in Virginia Beach...adored the hot sun and tanning beds.

In 1998, I made a pact with myself, after noticing leathery wrinkles and sun damage beginning to make their way to my face, that I would stay out of the sun. Little did I know 3 years later the diagnosis I would receive after noticing a mole on my right thigh that I had never seen before.

Since then, I have had two more spots that looked "suspicious" but were benign. The Dr. blames the tanning bed! This morning, I have my annual melanoma check...9 years cancer free!

The World Health International Agency for Reach on Cancer (IARC) recently announced that it has moved the use of tanning beds to its highest cancer risk category..."carcinogenic to humans". Previous studies have regularly found young people are 8 times more likely to get melanoma.

Needless to say, I am very passionate against the use of tanning beds. My girls have never used one and I hope they never do; they tell me they won't and I trust them.

I am also a user of sunscreen...for 11 years, I have had the whitest skin ever...just as "ghostly" in the summer! Just ask my children what my favorite word is....."reapply" :)

6 comments:

Julie said...

OH MY Kim! I would have never guessed. raise God that you have been cancer free for 9 years.

Julie (Pizzagalli)

Celia Jimenez said...

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I can't believe you posted this...I just walked in from sitting out in the sun...eeek w/out sunscreen!!! Okay girl! Thanks for the wake-up call! I'll grab my sunscreen next time!!! :-)

Melanie said...

I had to smile at your favorite word, reapply! But seriously I am so glad that you continue to be cancer free, praise God! I was always out in the sun when I was younger (as a lifeguard), but only used a tanning bed a few times when everyone said they were "safer" than the sun. Thanks for spreading the news that tanning beds are not safe.

Sarah said...

A couple of things:
1. Praise Jesus that you are cancer free!
2. LOVE your humor... reapply, baby, reapply!
3. Good message and reminder - thanks for sharing.

Zoe Elmore said...

Keep slathering it on girlfriend! We want to keep you around for a very long time. :-)

Amy T. said...

I am SO THANKFUL that you are still cancer free....keep getting those check-ups!! I SO wish I could take back all those times I went to the tanning bed....oh well! Hindsight is 20/20, right?? Love you!