Monday, October 4, 2010

Final review...

I finally finished the book Calm My Anxious Heart (see post dated Aug 31st).
It will forever be one of my favorites. If you are looking for an excellent Bible study, you need to go no further. As far as heart changing, this ranks right up there with Seeking Him.
C.S. Lewis' mentor, George MacDonald, said "I would rather be what God chose to make me than the most glorious creature that I could think of; for to have been thought about, born in God's thought, and then made by God, is the dearest, grandest, and most precious thing in all thinking". This is a true prayer of contentment.
I think it was the final two chapters that touched me the most: Trusting God with the If Onlys and Trusting God with the Whys. The following (in green) are excerpts from the book:
  • How much time do we spend in self-pity, thinking: If only my situation were different?
  • There's an if only in every life - something God could have done differently if He had chosen to do so. He has all power, yet He often allows that if to be there.
  • We cripple ourselves spiritually by going over and over the If Onlys. We "catch" the If Only disease when we dwell on what we don't have instead of on what we do have. We become discontented with what God has given us. When we contract this disease, we lose perspective.
  • God gives peace and contentment; worry gives illness and misery.
  • Are my eyes on Jesus or on a particular problem? Are my thoughts centered on the fact of God's Word or on my circumstances?
  • God is in control of all the uncontrollables in our lives: What we can't see, what doesn't make sense to us, and what we don't understand.

If ever you want to read a book in the Bible on someone who had all the reasons to ask "why"...it's Habakkuk. And God didn't explain Why; instead He told Habakkuk to trust Him with all his Whys. Habakkuk was to trust God for what he didn't understand, what he couldn't see. He was to walk in the dark with God! Wow!

How many times I've complained about things not going my way, or not getting what I want, or not getting it in my time....complain, complain, complain.
This book has truly shown me what true peace/contentment is:
  • Trusting God even though I never understand Why
  • Trusting God even when it doesn't make sense
  • Trusting God even when there is one more house repair :)
  • Trusting God ALWAYS and REGARDLESS!

God wants us to trust Him, no matter what our situation is, no matter what our portion. God wants us to have a faith that perseveres through the times when we can't see what God is doing but we can see Him, and so we say, "Yet will I trust You because You are my strength".

1 comment:

Terri said...

That is my mission! Trust God always and regardless. And anytime I am tempted to waver, but choose Him and His way instead, He is always faithful!!! I would much rather have His way than my way!! Blessings!