Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Calm My Anxious Heart....

This is the Bible Study I'm presently studying. It's exactly what I need at this point in my life. From the title, you would think I'm anxious, fretful, worrying, etc. And some days I am. But what I'm finding out by studying this, is that all these things come from one issue: discontentment.
"Most of us base our contentment on our
circumstances, on our feelings, or on other people. However, true contentment is separate from our
circumstances. Contentment is a state of the
heart".

I have to admit that I used to struggle with contentment - the way I felt depended on my circumstances for a particular day; how things went. But the older I get, the more I realize and know how truly blessed I am. Blessed just to wake up and have breath to breathe; Blessed to have a husband who loves me unconditionally, a husband I can cook for, clean up after, and love; 3 children who love the Lord; a home; a job... I could go on and on...very content, and this book reminds me that God is totally in control. He's even in control of my "beauty"...and each morning I look in the mirror, I see more wrinkles, more sun damage, more gray hairs that are very wirey, more "dimples" on my skin, hot flashes are on the rise, and more! But God made no mistakes for He's also teaching me to be content with "me"...Psalm 139:14 says that I am "fearfully and wonderfully made". He fashioned me with awe and wonder...Wow! He sees my heart. He doesn't focus on what I see...the outward appearance.

He is the Blessed Controller of my life. He wants me to surrender. He wants me to accept His timing. He wants me to accept His ways. He wants me to accept His outcome. He wants me to trust in Him and Him alone.

Prescription for contentment:
  • Never allow yourself to complain about anything - not even the weather.

  • Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.

  • Never compare your lot with another's.

  • Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.

  • Never dwell on tomorrow - remember that tomorrow is God's, not ours.
Our eyes should be fixed on eternity. Our tomorrows belong to God.

A quiet heart is content with what God gives!

2 comments:

Celia Jimenez said...

Amen! Thank you for this today!!! I needed it! :-)

Julie said...

Kim,

I've heard about this book. You've convinced me that I need to do this study. Are you doing it by yourself or in a group?

Julie (Pizzagalli)