Friday, July 9, 2010

Memories and a legacy....

The past 3 weeks I've attended two funerals and two birthday celebrations...celebrating life and...life again! Both of my sister's came into another decade; my younger sister, Kristi, turned 40 on June 27th and my older sister, Karen, will turn 50 this coming Sunday, July 11th (I know they wouldn't mind me sharing that with you :)
I was able to travel back to Virginia Beach to surprise Kristi for her surprise bday party and then turn around this past Tuesday to travel to Goldsboro to surprise Karen for a day with me and Kristi. We had an amazing time laughing and just sharing memories (my husband would tease me by saying we share the same stories over and over (and over) and still laugh at them! He would also tell you that being with my sisters and my mom is like being a guest on The View...because we all talk at the same time!!! It was a lot of traveling in the midst of working and taking care of my family, but I would not have missed it for the world.
It was all about making memories. In the past several weeks, I've been reminded why making memories are so important. I've attended two funeral services in these same two weeks. One was a mother of a dear friend who lost her battle to ALS. Her family and friends celebrated her life and who she was. She left a legacy. Her daughter and her husband spoke. I was amazed at their courage, but they wanted to be sure and share with everyone memories their mom (and wife) had left them.
This past Saturday, I attended the service of my boss' father-in-law. He lost his battle with alzheimer's. Our daughter, Heather, sat with him and cared for him on the weekends for about 9 months. He never lost his spunk and more importantly, never stopped sharing his faith with others. As Heather and I walked into the church this past Saturday for his service, Heather asked me if I thought this would be sad. I said "definitely not. We are going to celebrate Hank today". I knew Hank's family and I knew they were excited that Hank was healed and with his Jesus! One by one, each grandchild came up to the podium and shared memories about their granddad...the legacy that he left. They sang and led us in beautiful hymns, Hank's favorites. My boss' husband, Hank's son, is a pastor here in Charlotte. He preached...and boy, did he! He laughed and he cried...we laughed and we cried! He shared the legacy that his father left. He said that no matter what came Hank's way, Hank would say over and over "My God is so faithful". What a testimony...what a legacy!
As I sat there, I thought "this is exactly how it should be". "A celebration of life...not death".
I pray that when Jesus takes me home, that is exactly what my family will do...celebrate! All I can take with me are memories...and all I can leave are memories and the legacy I've created. I'm so thankful that I live my life each day (not perfectly, I must say) for my family and for my Lord.
And I'm thankful I took the time to celebrate my sister's birthdays these past two weeks...great memories!
What legacy are you leaving?

3 comments:

Kristi Zittle said...

Pt 2-Having suffered greatly the loss of my twin sons--the biggest bright spot of their memory in my heart and life is the celebration we planned in their honor. We did not care what amount of time it would take or how hot it might be that day (and it was incredibly hot that July 12th day) but we wanted that celebration of their short lives to be one we would always look back upon with fond memories and love! I believe we did just that with music and sharing and our favorite verses and family and friends. God is truly good!

Just like you, Kimmie--I want my legacy to be one that not only pleases God but is a pure testimony of His goodness, mercy, grace and unconditional love toward others through me! I love you, sister! I praise God for you and for my brother in law and neices and nephew. You have made my life richer and I cannot imagine a day without you in it!

Kristi Zittle said...

Pt. 1--This 40 year old sister of yours is also grateful for the memory making. My special day was wonderful, but when I watched you and Karen walk out, THAT is what did it for me! I am so blessed to have an amazingly hard working and priceless husband to love and who loves me, and 12 precious children; but God knew I needed my precious sisters to share my ups and my downs with and He brought us all back together almost 5 years ago this coming Monday. I know the circumstances were horrible--ones I would never want to relive--but Kim and Karen--you were worth every heartache I had to feel to reunite us and bring me the joy and love we have shared over this past 5 years!

I praise God for you both and all He has allowed me to learn as a result of His grace and mercy in my life. I too told my children I want my funeral to be a celebration too! I want my children and grandchildren (if they are old enough and speaking) to be able to share if they want to, to sing praises to God, and if it lasts hours--well praise God. When someone invests themselves in your life for 10, 20, 30, 50, 70, or 90+ years--I think we owe them as much time as we can offer to share their legacy with everyone in attendance. It is a testimony of our love to them and thankfulness for their sacrifice to us, and is a testimony to those who are around of God's love through them and in our lives!

Melanie said...

What a beautiful post, Kim. Each story you shared is a beautiful testimony to God's goodness & amazing grace...thanks so much for sharing!