Illnesses, of every type. It seems to be everywhere. Not a week goes by that I don't hear of someone sick...cancer! It's heart-breaking. Yet these same people, I see such peace on their faces. Why is that? It's God's grace. I told someone just today when asked why that is? I told them that God gives them the grace right at the moment that they need it. I read someone's blog just this week as she invited her brother to submit his thoughts about living with cancer (this "brother" is the father of some of our friends in Wilson). As I read...and cried, he said that God has given him perfect peace (the outcome does not look good), that he's not afraid to die, that he must control the things he can and trust God for the things he can't.
What a testimony! Just this week, parents we know that attend our church were told once again that after 3 short months, their 8 year old daughter's cancer has returned and they only give her a 10% survival rate. They are left this week to decide treatment or no treatment.
A man in our church was just told that he has pancreatic cancer and has been given two months to live.
It's all around us. Our pastor is in the midst of a series on Daniel. Today's message was strong; Handling a Crisis God's Way. Some of those same people, and other's fighting unforeseen circumstances, sat in that service. We heard that in the midst of a crisis, we should be like Daniel...a man of faith, a man of prayer, a man of worship, and a man of wisdom and power.
That's exactly how I want to be...prepared and armed...ready!
In 2001, I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma. God chose to heal me. Yet, prior to my surgery, when I didn't know the outcome (the surgeon told me in the Dr.'s office after giving me the diagnosis, that if it has spread, it could be two weeks or a year), I remember having such peace. Again, such grace given to me by such a loving God. My Dad (a 3-time cancer survivor) gave me a verse right before my surgery that I cherish...
Isaiah 43:1-3 "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, You are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you. For I AM the Lord your God".
Now that is peace...knowing that no matter what happens in this world, God is mine and He will NEVER leave me nor forsake me.
Just as the song says that is playing right now...when you can't trace His hand, trust His heart!
Free 7 Day Healthy Meal Plan (August 3-9)
19 hours ago





1 comment:
I know what you mean, Kim. A friend of ours, one of our youth leaders from our high school days, and a friend's mom all died within about 3 weeks of each other recently. There is so much heartache in this world.
Thanks for sharing those verses from your dad. I will share those with Taylor in one of my letters to him at boot camp. And I love the song, "Trust His Heart." Brittany and I sang that at our friend's memorial service in August.
Post a Comment