Saturday, October 31, 2009

In honor of grandma....

I just want to take a minute to honor a very special lady in my life...my grandma!
They don't get much better than her. She will celebrate 94 years this January 1st unless the Lord decides to take her before then. It looks as if that could even be this weekend. Her health has declined rapidly in the past several months. According to hospice, it could be any day.
Grandma lived with us most of our childhood years. She is the one who took the time to teach me to cook, to crochet, to sew (when my kids were little I sewed alot of their clothes, thanks to her), and introduced me to the Lawrence Welk show...we watched him every Saturday night.
Most of my birthdays, grandma would make me a baby doll cake. They were my favorite! Basically, she would do anything we asked of her...yes, she spoiled us rotten!
Growing up, we had a house with stairs...wooden stairs. I remember Grandma making me and Karen silk jumpsuits just so we could start at the top and slide down...and fast! My own children, when they were little, took on that same tradition. My grandma ended up making herself a silky suit and would slide down with us.
My grandfather died when my dad was 12 years old and my aunt was only 2. Grandma worked 2-3 jobs to support them. She has lived her life doing everything she could for her family. Such an amazing lady and I thank God for her.
Living 6 hours away from Virginia Beach, I haven't been able to get home to see her as often as I would have liked to. I have set aside time to travel there once every 6 months with Karen and get our younger sister, Kristi. We would go to her "home" (assisted living) and sit for hours and listen to her telling stories. She loved our visits. She said the best part was that I would always make her laugh...such memories!
I honor her today. She truly is a gift!

3 comments:

Terri said...

What a sweet, sweet tribute!!! I love your photo with the baby doll cake. It reminds me of my grama, who has been with the Lord since I was a child. What a blessing that you have had her in your life for so long. Blessings.

Sarah P said...

Precious post, Kim! Thanks for sharing and honoring someone of such virtue and influence!

Melanie said...

"Her children will rise up & call her blessed"...what a lovely tribute to your dear Grandmother. She sounds like an amazing lady! I especially love that she would slide down the stairs with you!! What precious memories.