Scott and I spent Valentines weekend at a Love and Respect Conference. Our church hosted; we had 2900 in attendance. We laughed and we cried. It was a great weekend! Many couples who attended told our leaders that this was their last resort. One of those couples we've already received an e-mail from saying that this has changed their marriage.
I believe the thing that Emerson Eggerich, author of Love and Respect, shared that will change the way I talk to Scott at times was this..."everytime you talk to your husband in a negative way, image seeing God's face right over his shoulder". "Now, are you still going to say to him what you had planned on saying?...and with the tone of voice you were planning on using?"
Yikes! That hurt! Countless times that I've spoken my "peace", instead of keeping my mouth shut.
He reminded me that God is only concerned by what I'm doing...not what Scott isn't doing. I need to respect him...no matter what!
I recommend this conference for everyone. It can be life-changing.
Emerson writes, "You may remember how the Beatles sang, 'All you need is love.' I absolutely disagree with that conclusion. Five out of ten marriages today are ending in divorce because love alone is not enough. Yes, love is vital, especially for the wife, but what we have missed is the husband's need for respect. This Love and Respect message is about how the wife can fulfill her need to be loved by giving her husband what he needs -- respect. And the husband can fulfill his need to be respected by giving his wife what she needs -- love. Does this always work? No. But if one is married to a person of good will, I would bet the farm that it would work!"
Ephesians 5:33 Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
Free 7 Day Healthy Meal Plan (August 3-9)
19 hours ago





1 comment:
I listened to Dr. Eggerichs on several Family Life Today podcasts last week. It was very convicting and encouraging. I also have his book and DVD seminar that I hope to read/watch soon. I'm glad to hear that God worked in your heart, too, through his ministry.
Post a Comment